Friday, January 30, 2009

Week 2

Hey everyone! My name is Veronica Islas. My two concentrations are Education and Family Studies/Child Development. I started out at ASU in the Elementary Education Program and after about a year changed over to BIS. I decided on these two concentrations because I felt that they related to each other and I would be able to get a well rounded perspective on children, their development and this impacts their education. I believe that family is very important to the healthy growth of a child. I wanted to become a teacher initially, however in course of changing my major I decided the family therapy would be a better fit.

My site of applied study is at Rover Elementary School. I am interning with the afterschool program Kid Zone. So far I have been able to work with all the age groups (1st-5th) except kindergarten. I hope to academically apply the theories that I have been learning in my courses and begin creating my own pedagogy. Professionally, I hope to create a support network to look to when I want to further my career. Im not really sure if I would continue at Kid Zone after graduation but it helps to get to know the children and their families in the community I plan to work in.

Additional to this, Im an outgoing person who is always willing to help. So if anyone ever needs any help durning the course. Feel free to ask!

5 comments:

  1. Veronica,
    I hope that you are finding your work at Kid Zone to be rewarding and a good educational experience for you. I am sure that your experience working with kids and their families will be helpful with either an education related career or a career in family therapy. I like your willingness to help others, that's a great quality to have! I look forward to learning more about your internship as the semester progresses.

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Veronica,

    I have to agree that family is vital to a child’s healthy development. It’s great that you’ve decided on going into family therapy. I still struggle with deciding between a career in family services, or family therapy, and now teaching. What activities does the program, Kid Zone provide for students? Are parents or other family members able to participate with the students? I found that many of the theories have overlapped for my two areas of concentrations. I look forward to learning more about different opportunities for students/families.

    Ida

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Veronica,
    Educational studies and family studies are my biggest interests too. I was also in the ITC program in the College of Education for Early Childhood Education, but decided to switch to BIS because it was a better fit. I was worried that I would change my mind about being a teacher, and this program has allowed me to study more outside the field, and is more fitting to my lifestyle (less demanding than the ITC program, as I'm sure you know).
    Kid Zone seems like a place to work. I've done something similar with an after school program through America Reads at ASU. I hope things are going really well for you! I'll always remember the children I tutored through my experiences with it. I hope your time at Kid Zone is very rewarding. What other things have you done in this field that you've enjoyed?
    Talk to you soon.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Veronica,

    My name is Krystal Duke and I really enjoyed reading about your internship. I can tell you really do have a love for kids and especially helping people. That is great! So thank you for offering to help us! I am working at the preschool on campus for my internship so I am curious to read more about your internship to see what the similarities are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like it would be a very fun internship to be able to play with kids. I know it is not always fun and games, but if this is the kind of work that you are interested in the future it sounds good to me. This is a great opportunity for you and i hope that you have a lot of fun. I look forward to reading more of your updates!!

    ReplyDelete