This past semester has truely been amazing. I couldnt have asked for a better site to learn and grow. I have had numerous positive experiences. First, I have developed strong long lasting bonds with my co-workers. Normally I am hesitant to being really open to new people but decided I was only going to get what I put in when it comes to my internship. It definitely paid off. For the first time in a while I was able to connect with people that I normally wouldnt think to try and get to know. I have even gotten the chance to spend time with someone of them outside of the work and have met more people through them.
Second, I have had so many opportunities to apply the theories that I have been learning in class. For example, I have gained the confidence needed when trying to manage a large number of children. I know all the little tricks but never felt like I could pull it off. Well, I definitely had the chance to try different methods and found ones that worked for me. I was also able to find my own way of gaining the children's trust and respect while creating a certain comfort level. These children are unique and amazing. I love being able to go to the site and know that it isnt going to be the same as the day before but at the same time I can expect to see the same faces and personalities. I learned that while these children are young they do have their own thoughts, feelings and opinions. I found that they had so much inside of them that I could learn from. As adults we have a tendency to over analyze every situation, but everything is so simple in their world and can explain their actions with ease. I admire their honesty and hope I can always remember that it is important to respect your students as much as they respect you.
Friday, May 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like you had an excellent applied study experience. I am glad that you realized early on that you were going to get out of the experience what you put in and were more open to getting to know others.
ReplyDelete